Monday, September 13, 2010

The Holiday Season in Jogjakarta!

Well, I've finished my language study. 6 weeks! Now it is time for me to go to Sumatra and do some research work. Right now is a special time in Indonesia because it is the end of Ramadan, which is a very important month for Muslims. Most of the people in Indonesia are Muslims; in fact, Indonesia is the largest Muslim nation on the planet in terms of population!

During the month of Ramadan Muslims do not eat or drink from sunrise to sunset. In this way they show their devotion to Allah (God) and cleanse themselves spiritually. At the end of the month there are big feasts, and most people return to their villages or their family homes, so it is very difficult to travel. In fact, I am having a hard time finding a ticket back to Jakarta, the capital city. I may have to ride a horse!

I will write more soon. But maybe you can find some information about Muslims and Islam in the mean time...

No comments:

Post a Comment